The Cycle to Work scheme is an Employee salary sacrifice where savings are made due to the fact there is no payment of Tax/PRSI/USC for both the Employee and Employer on the deduction. This means that someone on the highest rate of tax will save almost half of the cost of a new bike and equipment.Only once in every 4 years can the Employer purchase a bike on behalf of an Employee. The four-year span between tax breaks is counted by tax year. If you bought a bike in 2016, regardless of the month, you could buy a new bike and avail of the next tax relief in January 2020.Currently the amount is restricted to €1,250 in respect of bicycles or €1,500 in respect of ‘e-bikes’ as part of the Government’s Jobs Stimulus Plan,.repayable over a 12 month period which includes equipment – locks, hats and lights etc. The invoice for the bike should be issued to the Employer from one of the designated suppliers. The Individual themselves is responsible for insurance and any health issue should they arise. The amount which is to be repaid to the Employer should be divided by whatever payment frequency is used to be paid back to the Employer. Where the deduction crosses a calendar tax year please take note of the month in which the deduction ceases.For instance, €950 to be repaid weekly is 950/52 = 18.27 per weekTo add the deduction to an Employee
- Select Payroll │Employees
- On Deductions Tab
- Enter for example
- Bike in Code,
- Bike to Work in name,
- Type select salary reduction.
- Select Timed,
- Enter the Amount of pay periods,
- Enter the amount,
- Select Department,
- Add the deduction to the Employee,
- Save to record the changes on the Employee’s information
Set up Email textPrior to emailing payslips to employees the text for the Email should be set up
- Open Data
- Change Email text.
- Adjust the text as required
- Select File Save to confirm changes.
- Close the box to return to the main menu
- File and Close or select the X on the top right.
- Open the required employee personal tab
- Enter the email address of the employee
- Enter an agreed password with at least 8 characters including both lower and upper case letters, numbers and symbols eg $ or *,
- Select Save to keep this information.
Email an employee payslip from Payroll run
- Select Email Payslips from the top task bar during the Payroll run.
- An email with the encrypted payslip as an attachment automatically generated individual emails in Microsoft Outlook for all Employees with email addresses and passwords previously entered .
Re-sending a payslip from the Employee Payroll tab.
- Select the Employee then the Payroll tab.
- Select the individual payment.
- Use the right mouse button and select email payslip.
- The Outlook message will be generated.
A ROS Digital certs have to be renewed every 2 years.When an end user has updated or replaced a ROS Digital Certificates on the ROS Portal that new cert is required to be added to ODB Payroll to replace the redundant cert.If you wish to attach a new ROS cert please follow the steps below.
Download a new Cert from ROSOn the computer that your ROS digital cert is already set up on, go to the ROS login page, and click Manage My Certificates from under Select Certificate.Move to Manage My Certificates you will see two sections, Load Certificates, and Certificates already loaded in this browser. This section shows what ROS digital certs are already loaded on this device.Click the symbol under save on the cert you want to use on this computer (you may only have one cert).A popup will show on screen asking if you want to Save or Cancel. Click Save. Depending on what browser you are using on your machine the cert (which is a .p12 or a .bac file type) will either save automatically in your Downloads folder, or ask which folder you would like to save in. You need to take note of this folder for later.Once you have downloaded and saved your ROS digital certificate (.p12/.bac file), you may need to transfer this file to the machine you use with your payroll. There are a number of ways you can do this, using a USB key, using online storage such as Dropbox, or emailing the file,etc. Once you have transferred the .p12/.bac file onto the new machine you will then be able to browse to this location through your payroll software and link your ROS account to your payrollTo attach the new ROS Digital Cert to the Payroll:
- Open payroll
- Select Data │System
- Select ROS Cert
- Browse to the saved location of the cert
- Select the *.P12 or *.bac file for the required payroll.
- Enter the updated password.
- Select Validate, once the Password has been validated.
- Select ok.
- Select Save.
To Add a new Employee open ODB Payroll
- Select Payroll/Employee
- Select Add new employee enter
- staff ID,
- pay frequency
- PPS number
- Select on payroll
- Save the information.
- Select Add new employee
- enter the PPSN
- the previously used staff id will change to have a "-" with an incrementing number eg -1 or -2
- select Save.
- Select File
- Request RPN for a new Employee
- Select Save
- Modify PRSI information both Class and Category.
- Add the required pay elements and/or deductions.
- Select save to accept all modifications.
Since PAYE modernisation in 2019 Revenue generates monthly reports by date which makes it important that the pay weeks match the calendar months in order for the monthly payroll figure to match the Revenue monthly report. At the start of the year ODB Payroll set default dates for each month please ensure that they match your pay dates.To change the tax year structure
- Choose either Data│Tax & PRSI details │Tax year structure
- Main Menu │Tax & PRSI details Tab│ Tax year structure
The Benefit statement should be given to all SPS employees annually prior to the 30th June.Currently this statement is available on the individuals Payroll CSP tab.
- Open the Current Year payroll
- To move to the Previous year Select Payroll
- Select tax year ie 2020
- The Payroll informs you that the current tax year is the selected year – 2020.
- Find the required individuals.
- Move to the Payroll CSP tab.
- Select Benefit Statement.
- Repeat for each SPS employee.
- Select Payroll then
- Select tax year or
- Alternatively close the payroll.
The Revenue Employer Helpline can be contacted by calling 01 7383638.
Last modified: May 10th, 2021 by