The Cycle to Work scheme is an Employee salary sacrifice where savings are made due to the fact there is no payment of Tax/PRSI/USC for both the Employee and Employer on the deduction. This means that someone on the highest rate of tax could save almost half of the cost of a new bike and equipment.Only once in every 4 years can the Employer purchase a bike on behalf of an Employee. The four-year span between tax breaks is counted by tax year. If you bought a bike in 2016, regardless of the month, you could buy a new bike and avail of the next tax relief in January 2020.Currently the amount is restricted to €1,250 in respect of bicycles or €1,500 in respect of ‘e-bikes’ as part of the Government’s Jobs Stimulus Plan, repayable over a 12 month period which includes equipment – locks, hats and lights etc. The invoice for the bike should be issued to the Employer from one of the designated suppliers. The Individual themselves is responsible for insurance and any health issue should they arise.The amount which is to be repaid to the Employer should be divided by whatever payment frequency is used to be paid back to the Employer. Where the deduction crosses a calendar tax year please take note of the month in which the deduction ceases.For instance, €950 to be repaid weekly is 950/52 = 18.27 per weekTo add the deduction to an Employee
- Select Payroll │Employees
- On Deductions Tab
- Enter the required information for the deduction.
- "Bike" in Code,
- "Bike to Work" in name,
- Select salary reduction.
- Select Timed,
- Enter the Amount of pay periods,
- Enter the amount,
- Select Department,
- Add the deduction to the Employee,
- Save to record the changes on the Employee’s information
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-1#goto-section-6300-1
Set up Email textPrior to emailing payslips to employees the text for the Email should be set up
- Open Payroll | Data
- Change Email text.
- Adjust the text as required
- Select File Save to confirm changes.
- Close the box to return to the main menu
- File and Close or select the X on the top right.
- Open the required employee personal tab,
- Enter the email address for the employee,
- Enter an agreed password with at least 8 characters including both lower and upper case letters, numbers and symbols eg $ or *,
- Select Save.
Email an employee payslip from Payroll run
- Select Email Payslips from the top task bar during the Payroll run.
- An email with the encrypted payslip as an attachment automatically generates individual emails in Microsoft Outlook for all Employees with email addresses and passwords previously entered .
Re-sending a payslip from the Employee Payroll tab.
- Select the Employee then the Payroll tab.
- Select the required payment.
- Use the right mouse button and select email payslip.
- The Outlook message will be generated.
- Select the criteria required ie monthly frequency then pay period.
- Once employees are chosen send emails to required employees.
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-2#goto-section-6300-2
A ROS Digital certs have to be renewed every 2 years.When an end user has updated or replaced a ROS Digital Certificates on the ROS Portal that new cert is required to be added to ODB Payroll to replace the redundant cert.If you wish to attach a new ROS cert please follow the steps below.
Download a new Cert from ROSOn the computer that your ROS digital cert is already set up on, go to the ROS login page, and click Manage My Certificates from under Select Certificate.Move to Manage My Certificates you will see two sections, Load Certificates, and Certificates already loaded in this browser. This section shows what ROS digital certs are already loaded on this device.Click the symbol under save on the cert you want to use on this computer (you may only have one cert).A popup will show on screen asking if you want to Save or Cancel. Click Save. Depending on what browser you are using on your machine the cert (which is a .p12 or a .bac file type) will either save automatically in your Downloads folder, or ask which folder you would like to save in. You need to take note of this folder for later.Once you have downloaded and saved your ROS digital certificate (.p12/.bac file), you may need to transfer this file to the machine you use with your payroll. There are a number of ways you can do this, using a USB key, using online storage such as Dropbox, or emailing the file,etc. Once you have transferred the .p12/.bac file onto the new machine you will then be able to browse to this location through your payroll software and link your ROS account to your payrollTo attach the new ROS Digital Cert to the Payroll:
- Open payroll
- Select Data │System
- Select ROS Cert
- Browse to the saved location of the cert
- Select the *.P12 or *.bac file for the required payroll.
- Enter the updated password.
- Select Validate, once the Password has been validated.
- Select ok.
- Select Save.
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-3#goto-section-6300-3
Please select links for the relevant ODB Lowdown Payroll hints:
- ODB Lowdown #1 Budget 2022 with Payroll tips - Oct Edition
- ODB Lowdown #2 Cybersecurity - Nov edition
- ODB Lowdown #3 Year End Steps - Dec Edition
- ODB Lowdown #4 Christmas opening hours - Christmas Hours
- ODB Lowdown #5 Single Public Service Pension Scheme, ASC & Payroll hint - Jan edition
- ODB Lowdown #6 Encrypt payslips - Feb Edition
- ODB Lowdown #7 Calculate holiday pay @ 8% - Mar Edition
- ODB Lowdown #8 Pay element - Apr Edition
- ODB Lowdown #9 Salary Code - May Edition
- ODB Lowdown #10 Reconnecting returning Staff - June Edition
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-4#goto-section-6300-4
To Add a new Employee open ODB Payroll, select Main Menu | Employee | Add New EmployeeEnter the following:
- staff ID,
- pay frequency
- PPS number
- Save the information entered.
- Select Add new employee
- enter the PPSN
- Select Yes to add the employee information into the current tax year.
- the previously used staff id will change to have a "-" with an incrementing number eg -1 or -2
- select Save.
- Select File
- Choose Request RPN for a new Employee
- Select save to accept all modifications.
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-5#goto-section-6300-5
When a member of staff becomes a Public Servant they are auto enrolled into the Single Public Servant Pension Scheme since 2013's Finance Act. This Scheme deduction is catered for in ODB Payroll.For the employee in question select the personal tab. Fill in information on the member of staff on the bottom of the screen. Add the tick to the Subject to SPS. If this employee has previously been marked as part time please remove the part-time tick.Enter the
- Employment Status
- Pension Type
- Pension start date
- Civil Status
- Gross Pension if amount available.
- Pension adjustment
- Supplementary amount
- Normal Retirement date
- Previous Referable Amount
- Previous Gross Pension
- Previous Supplementary amount
- Membership Category – Standard Accrual
- Select Save to modify the Employee's information
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-6#goto-section-6300-6
Since PAYE modernisation in 2019 Revenue generates monthly reports by date which makes it important that the pay weeks match the calendar months in order for the monthly reports to match the Revenue monthly report. At the start of the year ODB Payroll set default dates for each month please ensure that they match your pay dates.To change the tax year structure
- Choose either Data│Tax & PRSI details │Tax year structure or
- Main Menu │Tax & PRSI details Tab│ Tax year structure
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-7#goto-section-6300-7
An SPS Benefit statement should be given to all SPS employees annually prior to the 30th June.Currently this statement is available on the individuals Payroll CSP tab.
- Open the Current Year payroll
- To move to the Previous year Select Payroll
- Select tax year ie 2020
- Payroll informs you that the current tax year is the selected year – 2020.
- Find one of the required individuals.
- Move to the Payroll CSP tab.
- Select Benefit Statement.
- Repeat for each SPS employee.
- Select Payroll then
- Select tax year or
- Alternatively close the payroll.
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-8#goto-section-6300-8
The Revenue Employer Helpline can be contacted by calling 01 7383638.Please note the helpline is only available between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Direct Link: https://odoherty.biz/faqs/?wpos=6300-9#goto-section-6300-9
Last modified: January 28th, 2022 by